How Water Damage Claims Work
Lets set a scenario and say that you're in your home in Maitland, FL and you've had a significant water damage. Multiple rooms are flooded, there is water coming out of your light fixtures downstairs, and then only thing you've been able to do it turn the water to stop the leak. What do you do next? Who do you call?
The good news is that you've turned off the water, so you have started the process of mitigating your loss. The following are some steps you can take to prevent secondary damage from occurring to your belongings while you wait for SERVPRO to arrive.
- Call SERVPRO so that we can send a technician to your site immediately.
- Contact your insurance company (if you haven't already) to report the loss and notify them that you have contacted SERVPRO and that we are in-route.
- Begin removing excess water by mopping and blotting. You can use a wet vac to suction as much water as possible as well.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting
- Do not use a household vacuum to remove water
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water
- Do not leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpeting
We our technicians arrive on site they will access the damages and being extracting water from porous surfaces. They will also place equipment and explain the drying process. If you have questions at any time during the process of drying your home or business, please call us at 407-388-0404.